Sunday, March 27, 2016

A Thousand Words

A Thousand Words



Okay, let's see, so I started drawing when I was around four years old. Granted, it was basically scribbles and such, but I count it. It didn't hurt that my Mum was also an artist, and a really good one at that. I grew up with her doing all sorts of pictures on the side. It really inspired me. I wanted to be just like her (she also is the one who inspired me to write). 

My Mum and I


I kept up with it until I was eight. At that time, well, to put it nicely, I gave a picture I'd worked extremely hard on to a family friend. He must've been sixteen at the time. He thanked me profusely and I walked away with pride for my work in my heart. Unfortunately, I happened to walk in on him and a few of his friends later on that same day, making fun of that same picture. Sufficed to say, unkind things were said about it (they had no idea I was in the room, otherwise they'd have never said them...they were young, not cruel). Anyhow, I was devastated and stopped drawing until I was fourteen. I just couldn't get those words out of my head.

The reason I gave myself another chance was twofold. First, I still loved drawing. I was just afraid to restart it. Afraid people would mock my work again. (Hey, I was a fourteen, confidence was not something I had in spades) Second, I had an art teacher for about three months. She volunteered at the school I went to and taught a small art class for those few months. In that time, she kept telling me I had talent and that I was one of the best students in the class. 

Nothing came of it.

She didn't let it go and, finally, asked me, point blank, why I was so reluctant to do this. I caved and told her my story, minus any names. We both went to the same church, so she knew the boys. I didn't want to blacken her perception of them, so I left out the names. 

She gently sat me down and told me....and I'll never forget this...

"Don't let them hold you back from your dreams. Just do it. You're not going to be great, at first, but you will get it, eventually. Never give up."

Cliche? 

Oh, totally.

But it meant the entire world to me. 

At this point, my father had died only the year before (so a couple months back) and my whole family was readjusting to life without him. I was the eldest, so I had to grow up fast and emotionally support, not only my Mum, but all my five younger siblings. I, literally, had no one to really boost ME up. 

And here was someone doing just that.

How could I say "no" to her plea?

I didn't.

I started up drawing again. 

But trying to imitate my Mum's artwork just wouldn't pan out. My Mum has this natural talent of looking at a photo and drawing it in pencil or paint so that it looks exactly like the photo. It's a Gift of God. One which I could not duplicate. No matter how hard I tried. 

My Mum's Artwork



I nearly gave up after a year. I just couldn't get it to work for me.

But then something wonderful happened.

I discovered anime! 

Yep, you heard me right. Anime. That Japanese art. I fell in love, head over heels, and never looked back. The sharp edges, the exaggerated eyes, the way the whole setup went, I couldn't get enough. I did have a bit of a problem with how immodest they made the women and girls. They flaunted their "assets" for the world to see,. I felt it degraded the females into (forgive my crude language) sex objects for guys. I didn't want my artwork to be that. 

So, I made my clothing more like that which I wore (or close to it). 

Now, I was NOT an overnight success in this field (autonomy is NOT my forte). Not by a long shot. For a good year, I could only do faces. Nothing else. Then, I started tracing pictures I liked. From there, I bought books, looked at YouTube videos (those helped the most). Mostly....and I know this is going to sound like an annoying alarm blaring over and over again, because it's been said so much...I just practiced. 
Early works (I'm not saying they were horrible, just not as good as now)




A lot.

That probably helped the most (practicing, that is). 

True, I didn't get to do said practicing all that much. I was still in school, and ill. It wasn't until, probably, 2007-2010 that I really got to practice a ton. And then, I didn't get good enough to post them online until 2014 (I'm very self-conscious). 
My artwork now





This year, an online friend of mine (Scrub456) and I decided to challenge each other to a picture a month. We'd both heard of, and seen, other people doing it. We talked about it and agreed to try it ourselves, as out New Years Resolution for 2016. 

So, each month, we PM each other a prompt. We have that month to draw and scan in said prompt. Thus far, I have done three (third one's not posted yet). Below are January and February from both of us. I hope you enjoy them. Let me know, please. 

Comments would mean the world to me. 

Next issue...not sure yet. Maybe a funny family story. I've quite a few. Yeah, I'll do a few of those. They're the best! Until then, may the force be with you (totally a Star Wars fan!).

January Picture
My Prompt: Draw something wintry; outside looking in or inside looking out. 


Her Prompt: Draw a outside winter picture. Bonus points if it has a Christmas caroler or owl.


February Picture
Both Our Prompts: Draw something for Valentine's Day

Mine
Hers




3 comments:

  1. Your story actually made me tear up a little. I struggle with self confidence quite a bit, especially with writing and drawing, but recently I've started trying to draw anime characters. I've mostly been tracing pictures and working on adding details and shading, but I think your story will inspire me to try drawing my own characters and to improve over time. As cliche as your teacher's advice is, it is very helpful :) And I think your artwork is amazing now! I especially like your picture of the groundhogs for the Valentine's Day prompt. Thank you for sharing, and for inviting me to your blog :)

    Breeze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness! I didn't know it would be that close to home for you. As for your artwork. Never give up, as cliche as that sounds. It really did take me a long time to get to even this level. One day I hope to get as good as the manga writers. *crosses fingers and toes*

      Awww, thank you. I'm flattered you liked my Valentine's one that much. I'd fun drawing it, I must admit. :D

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this... Losing a loved one, especially a parent, is a great hardship in so many ways. Moat people don't want to talk about it. Bless you!

    I myself was sensitive as a child, and much negative critcism and some traumatic situations have affected me even in my adulthood. I find encouragememt and healing in the things I love... Family, friendships, and the wonders of God's green earth and the amazing talents He bestows on His children. Please never stop sharing your talents with others. Even the small things can be an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete